Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Chez Betty - Overpriced and Overrated

Last night for New Year's Eve my wife and I went to Chez Betty's in Park City. Chez Betty's came recommended to us by a relative of mine. Chez Betty's is a French-American Fine Dining establishment at the base of main street in Park City. Chez Betty's is on the pricey side so I expected the food to be awesome! Boy was I disappointed!

The ambience wasn't as great as I expected. They basically squished a ton of tables in a very small room with nice tablecloths and tableware and called it a restaurant. I didn't feel very comfortable having a nice conversation with my wife because the people who were next to us were only about 3 feet away...you could literally hear their whole conversation!

We started off with the Crab Stuffed Portabello Mushroom as an appetizer. To me it tasted like someone took Tuna Fish and slapped it on a Portabello.

Next we split a salad. We had the Warm Spinach Salad. My wife loved it and I thought it was just so so. The salad itself was all spinach with some bacon, feta cheese, croutons and I think a balsamic vinegar dressing served warm. Looking back I don't think that the pepper shaker/grinder was working as the waiter tried to put pepper on our salads. All in all the salad was maybe a 5 out of 10 in my book.

I ordered the Grille Beef Tenderloin on a Crispy Potato Pancake and it was lackluster. Not a whole lot of flavor. My wife ordered the Frenched Chicken Breast. It was so so. Both entrees were about a 5 out of 10.

I wanted to try the dessert to see if it would make up for the lackluster food but again I was highly disappointed. I ordered the Apple Bread Pudding and I will guarantee you that I can make a better bread pudding than Chez Betty's. My wife had a Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Cake and after tasting her dessert I was still stifled why people raved about Chez Betty's.

My brother recommended the restaurant to us probably a couple of years ago. Maybe we should have eaten at Chez Betty's 2 years ago...maybe the food was better back then. Not!!Check out some other reviews here: http://utah.citysearch.com/review/10358460. Even though the reviews were written a couple of years ago I think these people are nuts! They probably had a lot of alcohol with their food.

I will never go back to Chez Betty's and do yourselves a favor, don't waste your time nor money at Chez Betty's. It seems to me that Chez Betty's is a true reflection of Park City. Overpriced and Overrated!!!

On a funny note my wife overheard the waiter at another table explaining why the Duck dish at Chez Betty's was so special. Apparently the duck that Chez Betty serves flies away during the summer and returns in the winter thus making it a better tasting duck. If anyone can explain that one to me please do so that I can understand how that makes a duck taste better.

1 comment:

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

that's funny about the duck. there is only one thing worst than a restaurant being OVERRATED...and that is being OVERPRICED! sorry you had to go through that. but i'm glad you posted about it so others don't make the same mistake.

...hopefully it will get better soon.