Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cafe Rio - Let's just be friends!

After nearly an 8 year relationship with Cafe Rio I've come to the conclusion that it's just not working out between us! What's really confusing to me is that I'm having a hard time figuring out the reason why! Last week we went out to eat at Cafe Rio in American Fork and after leaving I just didn't feel the same way about her as I did 8 years ago!

After contemplating my experience at Cafe Rio last week here are some reasons for my wanting to "break it off".

#1 - I've eaten at Cafe Rio too many times. They say that too much of something (even a good thing) is bad for you. Well, this could possibly be the case! We've just seen too much of each other in the last 8 years!

#2 - Cafe Rio got too big! Ever since Cafe Rio started opening up more and more restaurants the food went downhill! The meat is soggy, the beans are watered down and the food in general just doesn't taste as fresh! As Cafe Rio expanded in size she decreased in quality.

#3 - Cafe Rio lost her passion! In the good ol' days you could feel the excitement while waiting in line to order. You'd hear yelling each time a customer received a free meal. You'd see smiles on the faces of the cooks and employees. Now it's like "what do you want?", "hurry up and order", "we need to shove as many people through this line as possible so we can make as much money as possible".

Do I feel bad about breaking this off? Heck no! I've got a new Mexican Grill. Her name is Bajio and she makes a mean Chicken Green Chile Stuffed Quesadilla!

Oh! By the way, if you need to lose some weight like me then Click Here!

8 comments:

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

I can understand your grievances. But I will say I still love her. But maybe that's because I mostly go to the original Provo location. Who knows.

I will say this. The only time I notice the "watery-ness" is when I get take out.

I do notice the lack of enthusiasm at the other locations...you do have that spot on.

Are you completly braking up?Or are you just going to wait six or so months? And maybe get back together? ;)

megship said...

Here here! Actually I have never understood the appeal to waiting in line for an hour for the same thing you can get elsewhere. I have been with Bajios from day one, so maybe I will end my relationship with it someday, but not today baby! WHY WILL THESE BABIES NOT COME OUT????????!!!!!!!!!!

Jen Carpenter said...

I have to say, I love your food blog! I can never break up with my mexi grils. I don't go out to often anymore, and when I do- it tastes OH SO GOOD! Maybe just a break is what you need. I am in love with their pork salad, but I am with Bex, no take out, and hey, maybe don't break up, just take a break! Bajio's can get old if eaten their more than 3 times a week, been there, done that! I still love it though, but maybe once every other week!

Adam said...

Jay, you know as well as anyone that a good relationship is a two-way street. Did you ever stop to think maybe you weren't fulfilling her needs?

Ashley Eliza said...

I agree. She gets old. I moved on from her salads to Costa Vidas salads. In my opinon there much better. (Costa's Sweet Pork Salad) Bajo's is the one to go to when you need some lovin of the chicken green chile Quesadilla ,but when in need of a salad go to Costa Vida. Love the Blog Jay!xoxo

TheShippenFamily said...

My relationship with Cafe Rio is still going strong! But it is really hard to mess up a veggie salad. My relationship forces Jay to continue his relationship :).

luke & sammy said...

Me and Luke agree. Although living outside of Utah sucks when you do need to fulfill the mex grill craving, I guess it helps us to appreciate it a little more when we go home!

Unknown said...

Well, I thought I would add a comment. First of all, Jay, your blog is very entertaining. I do enjoy your food comments, and I like the historical touch. Secondly, I will have to give Cafe Rio a try this summer when I am home. Of all Utah restaurants that I most miss, Cafe Rio and Brick Oven are at the top, not to downplay the awesome food here in Texas...gotta love Tex Mex.